Skip to content

Are Black-Eyed Tree Frogs Poisonous? Who Are They Poisonous To?

Are Black-Eyed Tree Frogs Poisonous

The black-eyed tree frog, also known as the Agalychnis moreletii, is a type of tree frog found in Belize, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Mexico. They can be seen in the wild and can be captive as well. Yet, the gossip of it being poisonous is still out there.

But are Black-Eyed Tree frogs poisonous? They are poisonous, but the toxin they contain is very mild and is not fatal to both humans and pets. However, both species face consequences if they do not follow safety precautions or ingest them.

Most people do not know the truth about these toxins and their capability. In this article, we will be unveiling the truth and answer all your questions in detail. Let’s get started.

Are Black-Eyed Tree Frogs Poisonous? Who Are They Poisonous To?

Almost all frogs contain some sort of poison as a defense mechanism to protect them from predators. Black-eyed tree frogs also have poison inside of them, but it is very light, not very harmful to humans, and not fatal at all. They will not damage any human organs like the lungs, heart, or liver. 

Black-Eyed Tree Frogs Poisonous

Furthermore, black-eyed tree frogs are usually more harmful to pets, but the poison they carry is not enough to kill a pet. However, they avoid contact with humans and pets since they are very small. They tend to go for small insects as their eating habit is insectivorous.

Despite them not being poisonous to humans, humans still face mild symptoms. Moreover, the symptoms can differ between humans and animals.

The Aftermath And Consequences of Black-Eyed Tree Frog Poison Faced By Humans

These are the common symptoms if you touch black-tree frogs with bare hands or if they are ingested into your mouth, eyes, or wounded body parts. 

Black-Eyed Tree Frog Poison Faced By Humans

Skin irritation

This may include rash, blisters, swelling, itching, and even sometimes a burning feeling. Your face may turn red and can also result in pain. 


You may feel unease, discomfort, and the urge to vomit but not necessarily be able to vomit. In addition to that, you might also feel dizzy or lightheaded and have an unusual feeling in the back of your throat. 


Frogs carry bacteria called Salmonella. Direct contact with frogs may lead to illness, and one of the common symptoms of salmonella is fever. This usually happens to remove the infections or bacteria. 

Abdominal pain

This pain is usually towards the lower point of your stomach between the bottom of the ribs and the pelvis. This includes aches, a constant feeling of stabbing, burning, twisting, a lot of cramps, dullness, gnawing, or distress. 

This can last for 12 hours or half a day. Sometimes, it can even last for 72 hours.

Black-Eyed Tree Frog Poison


This is an unpleasant feeling, but it gets rid of the harmful substance in our body. In this case, it is best to rush to the hospital for further treatment.


The pain in your head can be throbbing or pulses, constant pain, dull, or even sharp sometimes. The pressure or tightness can be very intolerable.


Removal of fluids that cause dehydration. It may only last a few days.

The Aftermath And Consequences Faced By Pets And Animals

It is concerning as the main target of the poison is to affect the nervous system, heart, or blood vessels. Here is a list of symptoms if a pet, like a cat or a dog, eats a black-eyed frog.

Black-Eyed Tree Frogs


Your pets will be producing excess saliva in your mouth. Salivation or Hypersalivation can involve drooling, spitting, and even excessive swallowing. 


Diarrhea leads to dehydration. This can result in vomiting, which is even more dehydrating.


This not only causes dehydration but can be unpleasant as the removal of the digestive food is forceful. However, this does not last more than an hour.


A loud sound is usually caused by dogs. This is a way of communication and an indication of their suffering.

Foaming of the mouth

This is also like salivation and is caused by drolling for a long time. Drolling and panting simultaneously can cause a bubble-like foaming substance.

Falling over

This includes stumbling and falling over due to the ingested poison. You should take your pet to the vet instead of taking any risk.

What to Do If Your Pet Or You Are Poisoned By A Black-Eyed Tree Frog?

You Are Poisoned By A Black-Eyed Tree Frog

Since it is not that harmful to humans, it will not cause major problems and can go away on its own. Nonetheless, it is always better to visit the hospital than take a risk. 

However, when it comes to pets, it is still not fatal, but if a pet eats a black-eyed frog, then rinse the mouth thoroughly. The pet may go through a few common symptoms for a few days and will be normal afterward. 

Nevertheless, if the symptoms are major and worrying, then it is better to take them to the vet immediately. No antidotes have yet been discovered for both humans and pets. But visiting the hospital or vet is suggested to avoid worse scenarios. 

How To Ensure It Is A Black-Eyed Tree Frog?

How To Ensure It Is A Black-Eyed Tree Frog

Knowing whether it was a Black-Eyed Tree frog or not is vital before worrying about its poisonous effects. Here’s a table that will help you get to know them better and ensure it is a Black-Eyed Tree frog.

ColorBright green sometimes can be seen with spots usually in white color
SizeThey can grow to 2 inches in about 4 months. Males are usually 2.5 inches, and females are 3.5 inches 
WeightApproximately 22.7 grams
HabitatForests, streams, montane or mountainous countries

 Here is a video to visualize what a black-eyed frog looks like.

Frequently Asked Questions

Let’s check out some commonly asked questions regarding this topic.

Q: Can I touch black-eyed frogs?

Black-eyed tree frogs are poisonous, so you should not touch one without safety precautions. Washing your hands and wearing latex gloves before touching one is suggested.

Q: What is the treatment for black-eyed frog poisoning?

Wash your hands quickly and thoroughly along with your body parts, especially if there is any wound. You should visit the hospital immediately and let the professional doctors advise you properly.

Q: Can a black-eyed frog be a pet?

Although they are not too poisonous to humans, they can still affect them mildly. It is best to refrain from touching them or keeping them around to maintain safety.


We hope you are now clear about whether black-eyed tree frogs are poisonous or not. It’s safe to say that they are not too threatening to both humans and pets.  Moreover, they can cause major symptoms in pets. It is not deadly, but the symptoms are quite painful. 

There are many dangerous and poisonous frogs, and this is not one of them. However, it is advised to avoid touching them and maintain safety. Since they have a possibility of going extinct, we should let them roam in the forest and breed to produce more before it’s too late.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *